Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Catching up

"We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies." (Etty Hillesum)

Sophie and cousin Katie in the hotel pool

Lots of worrying about the "morrow" here, since I go back to work next Monday (or rather my class starts then. I'm already "back to work" prepping my class.) Also trying to finish up some home improvement in the kids' room. Progress has been made. I'll have photos soon.

 Sam and Daddy at Alma bridge before scary train came

We had a wonderful two days in Wisconsin over Memorial Day weekend. We drove, with the kids, to LaCrosse to meet up with all the Peltos to see "5,000 pounds," a play about the Vietnam War written by my cousin's husband. It was really quite good--funny but also thoughtful and moving. Then Saturday we drove up the Mississippi River, which was beautiful. The bluffs are the closest thing the Midwest has to mountains! Then to Mondovi to visit my Aunt Pat and godparents Betty and Mike. A long drive home Saturday night, but the kids were troopers and it was worth it. 

 Sophie and Betty during Mondovi visit


I did a little knitting in the car (and some reading for class), working on Sophie's purple Daisy sweater. Lately, I've done a few dishcloths, just because we need them for wiping down the kids after meals. I liked this pattern, Mandarin Lemon, though it took up quite a bit of yarn (more than one skein of Peaches and Cream). It's a big and thick cloth, though.


Now I'm working on "A Little Lace," but I keep getting confused on the lace pattern.


Tomorrow, I turn 46. Yikes!
 
 

2 comments:

Di said...

Happy birthday!!! I hope that you have a great day....

It looks like you did have a lovely weekend - family, friends and some knitting....sounds perfect to me!

ChicChick said...

Happy belated birthday, Heidi! I'm so glad to have re-discovered your blog. I'm formerly of "Chic Chick" but now maintain two other blogs. And congrats on your kiddos--adorable!