Sunday, June 06, 2010

How does your garden grow?

"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." (Albert Einstein)

One of the most exciting parts of finally living in a single-family home is the possibility of having a garden that's not just in pots and flowerboxes. This year we decided to just experiment with some inexpensive options and see what happens. Our main plot runs from  along the fence with our neighbor (who has a very green thumb), from the back of the house to the alley. The previous owners left a big peony and a bunch of hostas. A lot of the neighbor's daylillies cross through the fence. I put a little herb garden at the end near the house and a few tomatoes halfway to the alley. This area gets pretty decent sun all day, except for the shade from some of our neighbor's plants.

Then there's this area along the garage. I put an assortment of tomatoes (some heirloom, plum, tomato and whatever was on sale at Jewel) and a pepper plant. This doesn't get morning sun because of the garage, but is pretty bright the rest of the day. We also put in three strawberry plants given to us by the aforementioned green-thumbed neighbor. 

Along the fence with our other neighbors, to the south, there are a ton of raspberries near the garage and then some roses. Apparently before he got ill, the previous owner liked roses. I'm not a fan of them, and I gave one plant that was too close to where the kids play to our neighbor. He replanted it along the fence, so I'll still get to enjoy the blooms withou the kids getting pricked by the throrns. I'll probably leave these ones along the other fence and see what happens. I would like to move the peony over here, though. It's too big and hangs over the sidewalk. But I've heard sometimes they stop blooming after you move them. 

Finally, we have this little bed against the house. At the far right is a black tulip that came up this spring! And that's a piece of siding that has fallen off the porch. Ed put some flowers that were leftover from the front back here. This gets decent sun except in late afternoon.

We didn't do much in the front, where Ed had removed two big bushes that were blocking our front windows. The stumps are still there, so we just planted some flowers around them. The front is very shady, so I might move some of our extra hostas there. I need to think about what we want in the front before we spent a bunch of money. Ed also put some grass seed there, so the front "lawn" (it's about 5 feet by 5 feet) looks a little better. He's really interested in landscaping and gardening, so I'll let it be his thing, although I would like to grow herbs and vegetables. I'm already dreaming of canning tomatoes!

3 comments:

Di said...

I look forward to seeing how your garden grows. The first home grown tomatoes will be the best I am sure!

Ann Flowers said...

You have got a nice garden out there. I think a connection with plants means a connection with the nature itself.

Anonymous said...

Great gardens! I am working on mine, only the days I seem to be home it rains! Oh, well, good for the stuff that is planted.

Love, Mom