Friday, July 09, 2010

Berry berry good

"So tell the earth to shake / With marching feet / Of messengers of peace / Proclaim my law of love / To every nation / Every race." (Thomas Merton, from his poem, "Earthquake")
 

I am having so much fun harvesting and preserving from our garden. My favorite so far has been our raspberry bushes. The kids love to pick a few for breakfast in the morning. Luckily, I have discovered a gold mine of raspberry bushes that have grown into a nearby alley--and the owner does not pick them at all! Almost every day I pick about a pint!

I made some three-berry freezer jam with raspberries, blueberries and strawberries, using agave instead of sugar (having learned from fellow bloggers about Pomona's Universal Pectin). It's definitely not sweet. I think I'd use more than 2/3 cup of agave next time.


Here's my little helper! This week I harvested enough raspberries to make some raspberry jam in jars. Speaking of food in jars, I've been getting lots of tips from this blog.

Also on deck: another batch of watermelon pickles. And tonight we picked our first ripe tomato--a cherry one, which Sophie promptly popped in her mouth, then spit out!

1 comment:

Di said...

Berries! They are the best.....I love raspberries and blueberries - and free raspberries even better! Sam sure looks like he's enjoying himself!