Saturday, July 31, 2010

Things I've thrifted

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." (Dr. Seuss) 

You'd think from my lack of posts about thrifting that I never hit the thrift stores anymore. Though I did slow down while we were still in the condo and things were getting, ahem, "crowded," now that I have a basement and craft room I'm free to buy a few treasures again (though still trying to have some restraint. Our house isn't that big!)

I do find a little time to occasionally shop the thifts; I just don't have time to write about my finds! So rather than feel guilty that I don't document my purchases right after I buy them, I'm instead going to do some occasional posts about "Things I've Thrifted" in the past months that never made it onto the blog.

That said, I bought these three Pyrex bowls just last week at the Salvation Army. While running an errand to the grocery store, I braved the SA with both kids in tow. I don't think I've ever been there in the morning before, and they were just putting things out--which is why I think I scored these. They were dirty (still need a little better cleaning as you can see from these photos!) but is a gorgeous set of three "Cinderella" bowls in the cool aqua color. 

As you can tell from this ebay listing, my set is missing the largest teal bowl. A set of all four goes for about $60. I paid $12 for all three, which is no super-bargain, but not bad. I can't decide if I want to risk using these in the kitchen (breakage a very real possibility) or save them for display in our "new" kitchen (kitchen redo on hold for now unfortunately) or in the craft room.

3 comments:

NessaKnits said...

This is love. So glad for you that someone else didn't appreciate them when cleaning out grandmas's things!

Di said...

These are adorable! I love the colour. Hope you're having a great summer with the kiddos!

Heidi said...

Love them! I'd use them. I use my vintage Pyrex bowls all the time and haven't broken one yet--that Pyrex is some tough material! The only drawback is that you can't put them in the dishwasher. Well, you can, but I've heard that it eventually ruins the glossy finish. So it's a pain to handwash, but I love actually having a collectible that I can get some use out of!