Friday, August 27, 2010

Raspberry jam

I'm catching up with photos of all the preserving I've been doing. Here's the yummy raspberry jam made from raspberries from our (and a neighbor down the alley's) raspberries. I still used the Pomona for gelling, but went with real sugar this time.

I bought these cute little jars for the jam, and got 12 whole jars out of this one recipe. This is so going to be one of my Christmas gifts this year!

My canner is really just a garage-sale seafood pot with some cake racks in the bottom. I use regular tongs. I've recently read (on my favorite canning blog, "Food in Jars," that some makers of these ceramic top stoves say you can't use them for canning, but I've had no trouble."
  
Here they are all canned. I love hearing the "pings" when they come out of the water. I've never had a problem with anythings sealing yet (knock on wood).

This is what was left, so our family ate it up. It was especially yummy on top of a bagel with cream cheese.
Today I saw new raspberries on our bushes, so I think we're going to get a second crop. So far, none on the bushes down the alley. I would love to do another dozen of these!

**Sorry no quote on this post. For some reason Blogger is not letting me insert text before the first photo.

No comments: