Sunday, August 29, 2010

Well preserved

"My deepest vocation is to be a witness to the glimpses of God I have been allowed to catch." (Henri Nouwen)


Here is what I have preserved so far this summer:
  • 1 batch 3-berry freezer jam with agave (not sweet enough)
  • 2 batches watermelon pickles (about 6 pints each batch)
  • 12 small jars raspberry jam (for Christmas gift-giving)
  • 1 large bag frozen raspberries
  • 6 jelly jars of blueberry/agave jam (many already gifted)
  • 5 pints chopped tomatoes from the garden
  • 3 pints canned salsa (w/tomatoes from the garden)
  • 7 batches of frozen pesto (plus two batches we've already eaten and several gifted!)
  • 2 batches of dried cherry tomatoes (frozen) from the garden

This is actually fresh salsa. No recipe, just tomatoes, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, red onion, cilantro and lime juice. So tasty!

I do actually have some knitting to post from some late-summer projects and hope to get to that soon. I know everyone is in back-to-school mode, and so am I with lots of class prep and Sam getting ready for his first day of preschool. But the blog will probably still be very summery for the next weeks, as I finish up preserving as much of the bounty from our garden (and the farmer's market) as I can. 

    4 comments:

    Heidi said...

    Wow, Heidi, that's a lot! I'm completely impressed.

    Di said...

    I'm impressed! I've not collected berries this year or made anything canned or preserved. Normally I at least pick raspberries or wild brambles....but not this year.

    heidi said...

    k. the salsa is inspiring. gotta have it. the rest is just way more than i have time for right now. jealous!

    Ally Johnston said...

    Looks so colourful, bet it tastes just as good.