Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Handmade holidays #2

"One kind word can warm three winter months." (Japanese proverb)
Looking back, I did actually make more gifts than I thought. This was a last-minute one for my Dad--a small felt bag for carrying candy canes when he is portraying a certain Jolly Old Elf. I just created my own pattern, and used felt from sweaters. Cost: $0.
My niece wanted an eyelash curler and some makeup, so I made this little makeup bag to hold her gift. I was so excited to make it out of something from my stash--a pair of silky boxers with a makeup print. I can't find the tutorial I used, but it was very similar to this one. I was pretty happy with how it turned out, but, boy, was that satiny fabric hard to sew! In retrospect, I probably should have lined it. Again, cost: $0. (Zipper was from my stash.)
Finally, I made a couple of these little mini-stockings out of felt to hold Borders gift certificates for my godchildren. Felt from sweaters, a few buttons, a little hand-sewing, and voila! Cost: $0.
Of course, the other handmade gift this year was little jars of raspberry jam made from raspberries from our back yard. I gave this to a bunch of people this year, wrapped in some fabric with a cute little tag. 
Nothing major, but these small, handmade items made Christmas a little more special. And all were free, or nearly free.

No comments: