Thursday, December 30, 2010

Our girl is 2

"There is only one thing necessary: to be what God wants us to be." (Thomas Merton)

Sophie has a dreaded between-Christmas-and-New-Year birthday, but we are trying to make sure it doesn't get lost in the holidays. This year Grandma and Grandpa hosted a party for her in Wisconsin, with the Manions also in attendance. 


Sam eventually got some "birthday spirit," but for weeks had been erasing the birthday cake on the dry-erase calendar. I knew he wouldn't want to share the felt birthday crown I had made for him (but thought would be used by both kids).


So I made her one of her own. I put a cupcake on it, and was going to do some stars and balloons, then decided to embroider "Happy birthday" in Chinese. 




You can see the Chinese characters a bit better in this photo. The cupcake is a little catty-wampus, but it works.


 
This was Sophie's first birthday with us and her first Christmas. I can't believe it's already been almost a year since she came home. It's funny that she's rarely smiling in photos, because she is a very happy little girl. Such a sweetie. And now, the terrible twos..
.



1 comment:

Di said...

Happy birthday dear Sophie!! I cannot believe you are 2.

My brother's birthday is on Christmas Eve and as children he always got a present on my birthday and vice versa - and as a young child he also had an unofficial birthday (just like the Queen has) in July when my mum & dad and grandparents would give him a present or 2 so that he didn't have to wait all year for presents.