Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stash-busting for charity

"There is no enlightenment outside of daily life." (Thich Nhat Hanh)

A while back, actually a long while back (BK-Before Kids), I started knitting up some of my stash yarn into hats, scarves and mittens, with the idea that I would donate them to a charity. Then they sat in a bag in my craft room for too long. This year, our giving tree at church had some tags that said "Women's knit hat" so I grabbed two, plus one that said "man's knit scarf."

My first women's hat recipient got this grey wool-blend hat with pink flower detail, plus matching mittens and a scarf. This flower comes from a tutorial from the first blogger I ever read. It's here.



This men's scarf was a stash-buster for a bunch of wool and wool-blend green yarns I seemed to have accumulated. I did straight garter stitch and a random color blocking with two strands of yarn. Then I added fringe. It was super long, so I hope it keeps its recipient nice and warm.


Sorry for the blurry photo. Here's a close-up. Ed had his eyes on this one, but I told him it was already promised to charity.


Finally, I knit a purple hat using Soule Mama's favorite hat pattern , but when I knit only 4 rounds of the pattern, it was way too short, so that one got tossed in the kids' hat basket. The second one, knit with 2 strands of worsted, was more adult-sized. I paired it with a scarf that combined a soft purple yarn (can't remember which) with the same purple wool.


Getting these projects off to good homes felt good! But believe it or not, I had three more possible sets that I wasn't able to finish in time for the giving tree deadline. Maybe next year...

1 comment:

Di said...

These look lovely - I like the blues the best.