Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Happy New Year

“The world is a book and those that don’t travel only read one page." (Unknown)
Yes, this is belated, but not as belated as you might think. I'm wishing everyone a belated Happy Lunar New Year (Vietnamese and Chinese). We only celebrated Vietnamese this year. Plans to go to the parade in Chinatown were postponed when we learned it was on Super Bowl Sunday (and during naptime). Next year. 
Our Vietnamese celebration was, for the third year, with the Vietnamese American community at St. Henry Parish in Chicago, where we are usually two of the three or four non-Vietnamese people there. It was a good time: Sam was scared of the dragon; Sophie was not. (Photo above from that celebration.)
I was so excited that I finished this little decoration: a banner of felt lanterns saying, "Chuc Mung Nam Moi"--Happy New Year in Vietnamese, even with the diacritical marks! I cut out the lanterns from red felt, then zigzagged the gold tops and bottoms with my sewing machine. The felt letters are pre-cut adhesive ones I had leftover from the Jesse Trees I made a few years ago. 
Then I added large black rickrack at the top and little tassels from some trim at the bottom--both of which I had to buy. Still, the whole thing probably cost $3. And it helped me--and Sam--finally learn how to say "Happy New Year" in Vietnamese.


2 comments:

Di said...

Happy new Year to you all! I love the banners and the kids look great!

Rebecca said...

Happy New Year! The banner came out fabulously. What a lovely family!