Saturday, February 18, 2012

Selfish knitting month

February is half over, so of course I'm just getting to my January posts. I have a good excuse: Our already broken-down camera (literally held together with tape) has gone missing. I do hope we find it because there were some family photos on it. The good news is that we got a new camera, and it's a definite improvement (though you couldn't tell from this photo. Sorry.)

A knitting blogger (I forget which one) called January "Selfish Knitting Month," in reference, I assume, to the desire to knit for oneself after all that holiday knitting. That's exactly the bug that bit me! I've got a few projects for myself from January to show. First up is this Burberry Inspired Cowl Neck Scarf (Ravelry link), which I wear all the time. (I'm wearing it right now actually!)
I used to think cowls were silly, but then the weather got a bit colder in December (well, cold for this crazy warm winter, anyway) and I thought it would help keep me cozy. I knit it from some Lion's Superwash Cashmere in the Green Tea color. I think it took two skeins for four pattern repeats. The "folds" are made with cabling, and while I thought it was going to be wonky at first, by the time I finished it, it was cool. This also required a provisional cast-on. I used the directions from Knitty, but as you'll see in my next post, my next "selfish" project also required provisional cast-on and I used another, better method.
** Would you look at those wrinkles? You'd think I'm 70! I need to use moisturizer more regularly!

No comments: